The term "beta", from the Greek letter, is used to describe a software development phase where the game is not yet finished, but is made available to a bigger audience than just the developers for play testing and debugging purposes before the general release.
It is named after the second Greek letter beta. Consequently, very early versions of the game are called "Alpha" versions.
- 1 Software development phases
- 2 Access to Beta testing
- 3 Beta events
- 4 Other links
Software development phases[edit | edit source]
Specific types of test versions are accessed differently and serve specific purposes.
- An Alpha version shows the general concept of the game, but many aspects are not decided yet and may change. Alpha versions are generally only available to a selected group of play testers.
- The Closed Beta shows a more evolved version of the game and is used for testing changed content, as well as improving class/difficulty balance and stability issues. The closed beta is available for invited players only, but any player may apply for a beta key.
- The Open Beta is then accessible to all players interested in the game. This form of beta is usually used in the later development stages, and is almost like a demo in the way they are finalizing the game, and adding details. It also allows for server stress testing with a larger number of players.
- Finally, the Release Candidate represents the finished version of the game then used for official release, unless major issues arise.
Access to Beta testing[edit | edit source]
In Rift, playing the alpha version is limited to players in major guilds, who were given a number of access keys.
There are different ways to get access to the beta events.
- A VIP Beta code grants access to all alpha and beta events.
- A Promotional Beta code, available to players who pre-ordered the game, will have access to all beta events.
- Among all players applying for the Closed Beta, some will be randomly selected to get access for a specific event. A Referral Beta code will not grant access directly, but increase the chance to be selected when applying for the Closed Beta.
While the Alpha version is running and updated constantly, the Beta is only active for a few days during special Beta events.
The Open Beta will start on February 15th, 2011.
For players who pre-ordered the game, the final version will be accessible February 24th, 2011.
The official release will be March 1st, 2011 (NA) - March 4th, 2011 (EU).
Beta events[edit | edit source]
A Beta event is only accessible for a few days and will focus play testing on a certain aspect of the game. The following Beta events were performed.
Rift Beta 1 - Rise of the Defiant[edit | edit source]
- 03-06 December 2010
- Levels 1-20
- testing focus on The Defiant faction
Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, survivors from Telara’s desolate future have resurrected champions and sent them into the past to prevent the apocalypse brought on by the Blood Storm and the blind faith of the Guardians. Join the technomagical Defiant in their fight to change the course of history!
Rift Beta 2 - Guardians of the Vigil[edit | edit source]
- 17-20 December 2010
- Levels 1-20
- testing focus on The Guardians faction
The Vigil has raised an army from throughout Telara’s history. The people cry out for saviors; only the strength of the Guardians can seal the rifts and keep the Defiant from destroying the world. Join the Guardians to drive back the planar forces that threaten Telara!
Rift Beta 3 - Enter the Rift[edit | edit source]
- 28-31 December 2010
- Levels 1-20
- testing focus on planar rifts
Adventure through the world of Telara as a noble Guardian or technomagical Defiant. Enter a dynamic fantasy where eight primal forces battle for control over an ever-changing landscape. The planar invasions grow more numerous and the Ascended must rise to the challenge!
Rift Beta 4 - Warfronts![edit | edit source]
- 7-10 January 2011
- Levels 1-27
- testing focus on PvP combat in Warfronts
As conflict grows increasingly brutal, the Warfronts of Telara call for heroes to take arms and stain the earth with enemy blood. Will you follow the Vigil to salvation as a Guardian, or join the Defiant to fight for technomagical dominance?
Rift Beta 5 - Battle of the Ascended[edit | edit source]
- 25-29 January 2011
- Levels 1-30
Eight forces all vie for control as the battle for Telara rages on! Take up the mantle as a noble Guardian or a techno-magical Defiant to confront extra-planar forces and enemy players as you explore this dynamic world.
Rift Beta 6 - Planar War[edit | edit source]
Telara is left in chaos as the elemental planes force their way into reality. The armies of Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Life, and Death launch devastating invasions through the rifts opening across the land. Beat back the invasions and eliminate the planar blight that’s eroding this once-prosperous world.
- 5 February 2011, 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM PST
- special Stress Test event
We've had heaps of players in the RIFT beta, and we're really proud of how the shards are holding up. We think they can handle pretty much whatever we throw at them... so let's throw more stuff!
Rift Open Beta - Telara the Merciless[edit | edit source]
- 15-21 February 2011
- Levels 1-42
A tireless and unending horde, invaders from the planes continue their assault on Telara. The final (beta) battle is at hand and the fate of the planet depends on the courage and strength of Telara’s champions. Become one of the Ascended and fight for a world that’s on the brink of losing all hope.